Yeah. So here is today”™s Spotisfaction. It”™s by none other than the man known only as Kevin Atkinson. Listen to it, because you can and right now I can”™t. I ask myself, what would Humphrey DeForest Bogart do in this situation. Probably look slick, smoke and stick his neck out for nobody. Certified cool.
In case you missed it yesterday, here is David and myself on Spotify. Feel free to add us, check out the Spotisfaction submissions and whatever else we”™ve been listening to:
It”™s goodnight from me. Enjoy today”™s playlist – listen to it HERE.
- Seasick Steve ”“ Started Out With Nothing
- Ray Charles ”“ Guitar Blues
- Elmore James ”“ Everyday I have The Blues
- Leadbelly ”“ Where Did You Sleep Last Night?
- Howlin”™ Wolf with Eric Clapton ”“ The Red Rooster
- Muddy Waters ”“ Mannish Boy
- Tom Waits ”“ I Hope That I Don”™t Fall In Love With You
- Eric Clapton ”“ Layla
- Lightnin”™ Hopkins ”“ Black Ghost Blues
- John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers ”“ Ramblin”™ On My Mind
- Hip Route ”“ Working On Hope
- Derek & The Dominos ”“ Nobody Knows You When You Are Down And Out
- Buddy Guy ”“ Damn Right, I”™ve Got The Blues
- J.J. Cale ”“ Cocaine
- Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble ”“ Pride and Joy
- Dan Auerbach ”“ Heartbroken, In Disrepair
- Rory Gallagher ”“ Bad Penny
- Blue Cheer ”“ Out Of Focus
- The Brew ”“ Surrender It All
- The Yardbirds ”“ Heart Full Of Soul
- Cream ”“ Strange Brew
- Joe Bonamassa ”“ Three Times A Fool
- John Lee Hooker ”“ Boom Boom
- BB King and U2 ”“ When Loves Comes To Town
- Canned Heat ”“ On The Road Again
- Dirty Sweet ”“ Baby Come Home
- The Black Crowes ”“ Hard To Handle
- Jimi Hendrix Experience ”“ Hey Joe
- The Black Keys ”“ Strange Times
- Jace Everett ”“ Bad Things
Yes it”™s me again bringing you another playlist for your delectation. If you”™ve listened to or looked at my previous submissions you may have noticed a heavy guitar based indie vibe and this time the guitars are still there but they are playing more of a bluesy riff. Yes that”™s right I am bringing the blues to Spotisfaction with a selection of blues and blues rock
I”™ve had to trim it a fair bit as my first one was well over 2 hours long which I thought might be a bit much. I have a mix of classic blues and blues rock alongside some more modern exponents of the genre. I have tried to stay away from the more depressive blues tracks (yeah I know that”™s quite unlike me) and keep it a bit more upbeat. I have also tried to stick mainly to proper blues artists rather than blues influenced ones (of which there are many) but some have snuck in.
And so on to the tracks themselves”¦..
When deciding what BB King track to choose I saw the When Love Comes to Town and felt I had to include it just for my good friend Thom.
I was going to include the original Derek and the Dominos version of Layla but I like Eric Clapton”™s unplugged version so much I went with that instead and chose a different Derek and the Dominos track.
I heard Girl Is On My Mind by The Black Keys (unfortunately not on Spotify) a couple of years ago and was immediately hooked by their blues sound and went out and got their entire back catalogue.
Whilst True Blood might be yet another modern take on vampire mythology the title track by Jace Everett is a great tune even if a bit more country than blues.
Catch you all on the flipside