Morning ladies and gents. Today is a very special day. The most special, in-fact. So super-special it”™s making my knees tingle. No, not Christmas”¦ That”™s right! It”™s Kev”™s birthday!
Even though the norm is to receive presents on your birthday instead of giving them yourself, Kev”™s kindly made us a wicked playlist. I”™ll hand over to him nao.
Happy birthday dude. Don”™t drink too much tonight.
Get the playlist here!
- The Levellers – 15 Years
- Grant Lee Buffalo – Wish You Well
- Buffalo Tom – Taillights Fade
- Ride – Drive Blind
- Sonic Youth – The Sprawl
- Cocteau Twins – Persephone
- Lush – Ladykillers
- Carter USM – Bloodsport For All
- The Wonder Stuff – Don”™t Let Me Down, Gently
- James – Ring The Bells
- Ned”™s Atomic Dustbin – Grey Cell Green
- Eat – First Time Love Song
- New Model Army – Green And Grey
- The Wedding Present – Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)
- Dinosaur Jr. – Blowing It
- Jesus Jones – I”™m Burning
- Teenage Fanclub – Pet Rock
- Screaming Trees – Shadow Of The Season
- Pop Will Eat Itself – Wise Up Sucker
- The Soup Dragons – I”™m Free
- Saint Etienne – Only Love Can Break Your Heart
- Throwing Muses – Bright Yellow Gun
- Split Enz – I See Red
- INXS – The Swing
- Big Pig – Charlie
- Hunters & Collectors – Do You See What I See?
- Midnight Oil – Bedlam Bridge
- Crowded House – Into Temptation
What can I say about this playlist?
No seriously what can I say about this playlist as I don”™t know where to start, I haven”™t written anything more than a sarcastic comment or two in a journal in the call logging system at work in quite some time but I”™ll see what I can do.
This measly collection of songs is a bit of a trip down memory lane for me, it”™s entitled “Old School” because I am old and this is some of the stuff I listened to when I was in school and started me on the musical journey that I am currently travelling.
I start with the Levellers for the reason that they were the first band I ever saw live and this track is the first song of theirs that I ever heard so it seemed like a logical choice.
From there I proceed to meander through the world of independent music from the late 80s and early 90s, my reasons for choosing many of the tracks is simply because I haven”™t listen to those artists for a while, others are there because when I think back to that time I simply couldn”™t leave them out, inevitably there are some that I couldn”™t find on Spotify and there are many, many more that I have left out simply because I had to keep the length of the playlist down.
There is a mix of shoegaze, grunge, alternative, grebo, madchester, indie, techno, punk, dance and many more made up genres that leads me to think my tastes were more diverse back then than I gave myself credit for. Many of these you may know but hopefully there will be some that are new to you as well.
The ending is more of a playlist within a playlist, those of you who know me know that there is quite an antipodean streak through my musical collection and here is where all that started. I was a bit disappointed by the selection of Hunters & Collectors available on Spotify so this isn”™t their best track but the best from what I had to choose from.
And to finish? Well who else could I end on than the mighty Crowded House. I am a huge fan of the Finns and could write a whole blurb on them alone but I will keep that for another day and just let their music speak for them.
So have a listen and enjoy”¦”¦.
it”™s entirely up to you really