This is probably the latest a Spotisfaction update has ever been. What? What of it? Shouldn”™t you all be out enjoying the sun?
Dave: I got stuck between two mirrors.
Thom: I tripped over a cobweb.
But, finally, here is the update. I”™ve enjoyed the last couple of playlists, and here is another one it looks like I”™m going to enjoy. The last submission by this guy was great and truth be told, it looks like this could surpass the last. So wake up, tune in and listen to this. Then shower Woody with appriciation via Twitter. Cheers, man.
Here is my playlist for ya”™ll:
- Fang Island – Dreams Of Dreams
- The Black Keys – I Got Mine
- Vivian Girls – Surfin”™ Away
- Darwin Deez – Constellations
- Malajube – Ton Plat Favori
- Violent Femmes – Please Do Not Go
- Neutral Milk Hotel – Two-Headed Boy
- Fools Gold – Surprise Hotel
- Janis Joplin – Mercedes Benz
- Balkan Beat Box – Bulgarian Chicks
- Rodrigo y Gabriela – Tamacun
- Taj Mahal – Checkin”™ Up On My Baby
- Husker Du – Could You Be The One
- The Replacements – I Will Dare
- Beach Fossils – Daydream
- Amadou & Mariam – Africa (Featuring Knaan)
- Yerba Buena – Bellydancer (Featuring Fulanito and Gogol Bordello)
- Balkan Beat Box – Move It
- Taj Mahal – Johnny Too Bad
- Yo La Tengo – Upside-Down
- Mission Of Burma – That”™s When I Reach For My Revolver
- Woody Guthrie – This Land Is Your Land
So it actually took me ages to do another playlist. Mainly because I tried to come up with themes, or a similar sound or something for them but I generally found them all to be crap. I realised what I most enjoy in a playlist is when it is comprised of music I haven”™t either heard before or songs I wouldn”™t have put together.
So I started with Yo La Tengo (I had just watched Adventureland which they contributed a song for the soundtrack) and from there I just started searching random bands from lots of different genres, hopefully with the effect of making sense together as a playlist but also to be a bit unpredictable at the same time.
Apart from Janis Joplin and Violent Femmes, most of the other music I had either never heard or only played a few tracks before. Balkan Beat Box are definitely a highlight, they are like the ultimate gypsy/world/party music band, they have such a range of sounds and influences and its pulled off to great effect. Beach Fossils and Fool”™s Gold are rapidly becoming some of my favourite new bands, perfect for chilling out in the sun. I also revisited classic bands such as Husker Du and The Replacements and even further back to Woody Guthrie because, well, why not?
Serving suggestion is some sunshine, a beer and ice cream. [EDITORS NOTE: We fully endorse this]
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did putting it together.